May 15th – 19th (4 nights & 4 days)
West Virginia in the spring is exceptionally wonderful. Hundreds of beautiful rivers, waterfalls, and vistas to behold in the New River Gorge, Monongahela National Forest, and the many and varied state parks, such as Blackwater Falls State Park and Babcock State Park.
This spring join me for a trip to Canaan Valley. We’ll lodge in a private home centric to our day trips, cook our own meals, and visit the following places.
- Dolly Sods – catch the classic sunset shot from Seneca Rocks and Bear Rocks Preserve (more about Dolly Sods)
- Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge
- Canaan Valley State Park
- Blackwater Falls State Park
- Blackwater Falls – easy to moderate short walk
- Elakala Falls – easy short walk, moderate to hard scramble
- Second Falls on Shay’s Run – moderate to hard hike about 1/2 mile
- Lindy point overlook for sunrise and sunset in the Blackwater Canyon – 1/4 mile one way flat hike. Observation deck overlooks gorge. Rock climb to other locations moderate but dangerous.
- Douglass Falls – short walk and moderate to dangerous scramble depending on where you want to shoot from and water flow.